Mark your calendars! The booking date for the 2013/14 school year will be Wednesday, October 2, 2013.
Attention Schools: Click here for the list of participating writers & illustrators. Remember to read each profile carefully, making note of individual travel parameters and other requirements, before making your request.
Writers in the Schools is many things . . .
- It’s the writers of Nova Scotia’s gift to the children of our home province. By fundraising and soliciting public support, WFNS provides more than half of the actual cost of hosting a writer in your school.
- With more than 90 very different writers participating, you can design the visits to match the interests of your students with the expertise of highly skilled professional writers.
- Your students can identify with Nova Scotian and Canadian stories, accomplishments, outstanding citizens, and remarkable settings.
- Writer visits are an excellent way to bring reading to life in your school. Once young people catch the writing bug, they want to read more too, picking up ideas and techniques from gifted professionals.
- WITS pays dividends in students; you'll see development right across the curriculum, especially in terms of planning, drafting and revising work.
“It was an excellent presentation. Lisa was able to engage even the most reluctant participants.”
- Library Support Specialist, Sackville High
“Vicki’s great asset is her ability to engage students at the junior high level. Her visit was enjoyed by all and the demand for her books the following day was overwhelming.”
- Teacher, Ellenvale Jr. High
“THANK YOU WITS for once again enhancing my African Heritage Literature Class with a great speaker…I hope we have the pleasure of stories, voice and poetry for many years to come.”
- Teacher, Eastern shore District High
“I have some very reluctant writers but she got them all writing.”
-Teacher, Atlantic View Elementary
“The students were engaged in the author’s excellent presentation. We were inspired to start a writer’s club.”
- Librarian, Elizabeth Sutherland
“Clever, passionate, inspirational…She convinced me to read and to write…She knows so much about the craft of writing.”
- Students at Holy Angels High School