"Writers Helping Writers"
This collaborative philosophy is the foundation of the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS). It shapes our outlook as an arts service organization, and it informs a complete cycle of development programming and a wide array of professional services that support the craft of writing, the business of being a writer, and the promotion of Nova Scotia writers as integral to the province’s cultural life and creative economy.
WFNS has pursued its mission for more than 40 years through the shared commitment and passion of its Board of Directors, its staff, and its approximately 600 members, at all career stages, who engage in a diverse range of genres, forms, and writing practices.
Truly, WFNS could not exist without its members, whose dues and donations contribute to essential funding, whose skills and volunteerism make programming possible, and whose concerns and aspirations drive our mandate.
General Membership: 2021 Full-Year
(valid from date of joining or renewal to Dec 31, 2021)
Full-time Student or Underwaged:
Join or renew using your PayPal account or your credit card (processed through PayPal) by clicking “Add to Cart” above. Renewing members should ensure they are logged in before renewing.
Call us during business hours at (902) 423-8116. Please have your credit card details on hand.
New & Prospective Members
General membership in the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS) is open to anybody who writes, regardless of writing experience or place of residence. Much of our programming is now virtual, allowing active participation from writers across Canada.
- Reduced registration fees for our creative writing workshops and professional development sessions
- Reduced submission fees for our competitions
- Eligibility to apply for our Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program [Nova Scotia residents only]
- Eligibility to participate in our Manuscript Review and Coffee Chats programs
- Access to a variety of WFNS support services, writing resources, and event spaces (for book launches, readings, and other events)
- Free listing space in our online Service Directory and our forthcoming Writing Group Finder
- A subscription to Subtext, our weekly email newsletter providing early notice of WFNS programming (events, opportunities, and announcements), literary community news, and submission opportunities for contests, publication, and employment
- Borrowing privileges in the WFNS Library, featuring 2000+ Nova Scotian and Atlantic Canadian books
- Voting privileges at the WFNS Annual General Meeting
WFNS membership is annual and fixed to the calendar year. You may join at any time throughout the year, but all memberships end December 31 and require renewal the following January 1. (For example, if you join WFNS in March, you are a member in good standing until December 31 of that year. On January 1 of the next year, you must renew your membership to remain in good standing.)
To take full advantage of membership, we encourage you to join WFNS early in the year. Each fall, however, we offer discounted membership dues to account for the shorter membership duration. If currently offered, those discounted dues will be listed at the top of this page.
Current & Renewing Members
Are you unsure if your membership is current?
Have your circumstances changed?
- If your expendable income is tighter these days, please take advantage of our lower dues (available at online checkout, by phone, or by mail) for full-time students, those who are underwaged or on fixed incomes, and current members of other provincial / regional writers’ organizations. All members receive the same benefits, regardless of the dues option paid.
- If your financial situation has become more secure, consider sponsoring a membership for a writer who face financial barriers so that WFNS can continue to build community among writers in Nova Scotia and to invest in the contributions of all Nova Scotia writers. The option to donate is available at online checkout, by phone, or by mail.