"Writers Helping Writers"
This collaborative philosophy is the foundation of the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS). It shapes our outlook as an arts service organization, and it informs a complete cycle of development programming and a wide array of professional services that support the craft of writing, the business of being a writer, and the promotion of Nova Scotia writers as integral to the province’s cultural life and creative economy.
WFNS has pursued its mission for more than 40 years through the shared commitment and passion of its Board of Directors, its staff, and its approximately 600 members, at all career stages, who engage in a diverse range of genres, forms, and writing practices.
Truly, WFNS could not exist without its members, whose dues and donations contribute to essential funding, whose skills and experiences make programming possible, and whose concerns and aspirations drive our mandate.
General Membership: 2021 Full-Year
(valid from date of joining or renewal to Dec 31, 2021)
Full-time Student or Underwaged:
Join or renew using your PayPal account or your credit card (processed through PayPal) by clicking “Add to Cart” above. Renewing members should ensure they are logged in before renewing.
Call us during business hours at (902) 423-8116. Please have your credit card details on hand. To complete your membership, we will also need to ask for your mailing address, email address, and phone number.
Send a cheque (payable to the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia) to
Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia
1113 Marginal Road
Halifax, NS B3H 4P7
Please include a short note indicating your mailing address, email address, and phone number.
New & Prospective Members
General membership in the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS) is open to anybody who writes, regardless of writing experience or place of residence. Much of our programming is now virtual, allowing active participation from writers across Canada.
- Reduced registration fees for our creative writing workshops and professional development sessions, most of which are delivered virtually
- Reduced entry fees for our annual Nova Writes Competition for Unpublished Manuscripts * and twice-annual Postcard Contest *
- Eligibility for our Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program * and our Manuscript Review and Coffee Chats programs
- Access to support services, writing resources, and physical & virtual spaces (for launches & readings)
- Eligibility to post in our online Service Directory and Writing Group Listings
- A subscription to (and access to the archive of) Subtext, our weekly email newsletter providing early notice of WFNS programming (events, opportunities, and announcements), literary community news, and submission opportunities for contests, publication, and employment
- Voting privileges at the WFNS Annual General Meeting
* These programs are available to Nova Scotia residents only.
WFNS membership is annual and fixed to the calendar year. You may join at any time throughout the year, but all memberships expire on December 31 and require renewal on or before the following January 1. (For example, if you join WFNS in March, you are a member in good standing until December 31 of that year. On or before January 1 of the next year, you must renew your membership to remain in good standing.)
To take full advantage of membership, we encourage you to join WFNS early in the year. Each fall, however, we offer discounted membership dues to account for the shorter membership duration. If currently offered, those discounted dues will be listed at the top of this page.
Current & Renewing Members
Unsure if your membership is current?
Renewing for the first time since the launch of our new website (September, 2020)?
If you’re on the Writers’ Council, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your login info.
If you’re not on the Writers’ Council, please create a new member account (as if becoming a WFNS member for the first time).
Have your financial circumstances changed?
- If your expendable income is tighter these days, please take advantage of our lower dues (available at online checkout, by phone, or by mail) for full-time students, those who are underwaged or on fixed incomes, and current members of other provincial / regional writers’ organizations. All members receive the same benefits, regardless of the dues option paid.
- If your financial situation has become more secure, consider sponsoring a membership for a writer who faces financial barriers so that WFNS can continue to build community among writers in Nova Scotia and to invest in the contributions of all Nova Scotia writers. The option to donate is available at online checkout, by phone, or by mail.