"Writers Helping Writers"
This collaborative philosophy is the foundation of the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS). It shapes our outlook as an arts service organization and informs a complete cycle of development programming and a wide array of professional services that support the craft of writing, the business of being a writer, and the promotion of Nova Scotia writers as integral to the province’s cultural life and creative economy. WFNS has approximately 600 members, at all career stages, who engage in a diverse range of genres, forms, and writing practices.
WFNS general membership is open to anybody who writes.
- Reduced registration fees for our creative writing workshops and professional development sessions
- Eligibility to apply for our Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program, to participate in our Manuscript Review Program, and to place a free listing in our online Service Directory
- A subscription to Subtext, our bi-weekly email newsletter of events, opportunities and announcements, market listings, contests, awards, and more (plus access to the Subtext archive)
- Access to a variety of WFNS support services, such as WFNS event space (for book launches, readings, and other events) and the private WFNS Writers’ Studio (with computer, internet, and printer access)
- Advanced notice of WFNS programming, including formal and informal opportunities to meet and network with local, regional, and national writers at special events and celebrations
- Borrowing privileges in the WFNS Library, which features over 2000 Nova Scotian and Atlantic Canadian books
- Voting privileges at the WFNS Annual General Meeting
Writers' Council membership
Writers’ Council membership is a special designation for WFNS members who have produced a professional body of work.
- Eligibility to join our Writers in the Schools (WITS) program
- Eligibility to lead creative writing workshops and professional development sessions (rate of pay: $87.50 per hour of instruction)
- Eligibility to join peer assessment juries for Atlantic Book Awards categories administered by the WFNS (rate of pay: $250 + $5 per book assessed)
- Compensation for participating in WFNS-organized public readings (rates of pay: $250 for a solo reading and $125 for a shared reading)