Postcard Story Contest
The Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia is happy to announce its inaugural Postcard Story Contest, open to all Nova Scotia residents!
From October 1 to 31, 2020, the WFNS is accepting submissions of postcard stories (prose up to 250 words). Submissions will be judged by WFNS board members and staff, and the winning writer will be awarded a cash prize of $250.
Shortlisted entrants will be announced in winter of 2021, with the winner announced shortly after. The winning story will be published on the WFNS website and in the WFNS newsletter, Subtext.
Submissions may be on any theme and in any prose genre, including micro-fiction, short creative non-fiction, and prose poetry.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 31, 2020
1. Eligibility Criteria
To enter the Postcard Story Contest, entrants must meet the following criteria.
- You must be 16 years of age or older.
- You must be a permanent resident of Nova Scotia (i.e., you have lived in Nova Scotia full-time since the September 1 immediately prior to the submission deadline date, and you file your taxes here). Out-of-province college/university students and seasonal residents are ineligible.
- You must not be a staff member or board members of the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia.
- You must submit only one entry. An entry is a single, unpublished postcard story of 250 words or fewer, including title.
2. Entry Requirements
Entries must be submitted by 11:59pm on the contest deadline; must be submitted electronically; and must contain all components listed below. Late, non-digital, or incomplete applications will be rejected as ineligible. Please note that your entry is not considered complete until we have received payment of your entry fee.
To ensure the impartiality of readers and judges during the assessment process, entrants must choose a pen name to accompany their postcard stories. The purpose of the pen name is to maintain entrant anonymity, so the chosen pen name cannot be connected to you (e.g., it cannot be in active use as an online alias). At no point in the assessment process are readers or judges to be made aware of the identity of entrants. Please do not put your real name anywhere on or in your postcard story. Your real name must appear only in your online entry form, which is for office use only and will not be distributed to readers or judges.
1. Complete online entry form containing the following:
- Your pen name, real name, email address, permanent residential address, and phone number where you may be reached during business hours.
- A short biographical note.
- Confirmation that you meet all eligibility criteria, including that (1) you are 16 years of age or older, (2) you are a permanent resident of Nova Scotia, and (3) the attached story is your sole entry this year in the Postcard Story Contest.
- The title and final wordcount of the attached postcard story.
2. Unpublished postcard story (of 250 words or fewer, including title) attributed to your pen name and not containing your real name or any personally identifiable information:
- The postcard story must be in Times New Roman or Arial 12-point font; must use the A4 (8.5″x11″) page size with a minimum 1-inch margin on all sides; must be double-spaced; and must be in .doc/.docx or .pdf format.
- The file name must use the following format: PenName_StoryTitle.pdf, where “PenName” is your chosen pen name and “StoryTitle” is the title of your story.
3. Non-refundable $5 entry fee ($10 for non-members):
- If we receive a fee without an accompanying manuscript, we will reach out to you.
Postcard Story Contest Entry form