Postcard Poem Contest Submission deadline: March 31, 2021
1. Eligibility Criteria
To enter the Postcard Contest, entrants must meet the following criteria.
- You must be 16 years of age or older.
- You must be a permanent resident of Nova Scotia (i.e., you have lived in Nova Scotia full-time since the September 1 immediately prior to the submission deadline date, and you file your taxes here). Out-of-province college/university students and seasonal residents are ineligible.
- You must not be a staff member or board members of the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia.
- You must submit only one entry per contest period.
- A Postcard Story Contest entry is a single, unpublished story of 250 words or fewer, including title.
- A Postcard Poem Contest entry is a single, unpublished poem of 50 words or fewer, including title.
2. Entry Requirements
Entries must be submitted by 11:59pm on the contest deadline; must be submitted electronically; and must contain all components listed below. Late, non-digital, or incomplete applications will be rejected as ineligible. Please note that your entry is not considered complete until we have received payment of your entry fee.
To ensure the impartiality of readers and judges during the assessment process, each entrant must choose a pen name to accompany their postcard story or poem. The purpose of the pen name is to maintain entrant anonymity, so the chosen pen name cannot be connected to you (e.g., it cannot be in active use as an online alias). At no point in the assessment process are readers or judges to be made aware of the identity of entrants. Please do not put your real name anywhere on or in your postcard story or poem. Your real name must appear only in your online entry form, which is for office use only and will not be distributed to readers or judges.
1. Complete online entry form containing the following:
- Your pen name, real name, email address, permanent residential address, and phone number where you may be reached during business hours.
- A short biographical note.
- Confirmation that you meet all eligibility criteria, including that (1) you are 16 years of age or older, (2) you are a permanent resident of Nova Scotia, and (3) the attached story or poem is your sole entry this contest period.
- The title and final wordcount of the attached postcard story or poem.
2. Unpublished story (of 250 words or fewer, including title) or unpublished poem (of 50 words or fewer, including title) attributed to your pen name and not containing your real name or any personally identifiable information:
- The story or poem must be in Times New Roman or Arial 12-point font; must use the A4 (8.5″x11″) page size with a minimum 1-inch margin on all sides; and must be in .doc/.docx or .pdf format.
- The file name must use the following format: PenName_Title.pdf, where “PenName” is your chosen pen name and “Title” is the title of your story or poem.
3. Non-refundable $5 entry fee ($10 for non-members):
- If we receive a fee without an accompanying story or poem, we will reach out to you.
3. Adjudication Process
Finalists are selected by a reading team, composed of members of WFNS’s staff and board of directors. Winners are selected from the finalists by a judging team, composed of different WFNS staff and directors. Finalists are announced approximately one month after the contest closes, and winners are notified and announced shortly thereafter.
Postcard Poem Contest Entry form
Please note: only poems are accepted at this time.
To avoid losing information entered into the form above, be certain to (1) click “Submit My Postcard Contest Entry” and (2) wait for confirmation that your form has been successfully submitted before (3) clicking “Add Entry Fee to Cart” below.