2022 Prize Submission Deadline: October 8, 2021
1. Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for the Elizabeth Venart Prize, writers must meet the following criteria.
- You must be a woman and/or other marginalized gender (including but not limited to Two-Spirit, trans, nonbinary, and fluid genders).
- You must be a permanent resident of Nova Scotia (i.e., you have lived in Nova Scotia permanently for at least one year and you file your taxes here). Out-of-province college/university students and seasonal residents are ineligible.
- You must be 19 years of age of older by the current prize deadline.
- You must have published no more than one book through a traditional publishing process. (Self-published books or chapbooks, along with traditionally published chapbooks, do not count toward this limit.)
- You must submit only one submission package to each prize deadline, so take the time to focus on your strongest project.
2. Submission Package
Submission packages must contain all components listed below and must be submitted by the prize deadline. Each submission package must be submitted as a single digital document (in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format) with a file name as follows: Lastname_Firstname_Venart (where “Lastname” is your family name and “Firstname” is your given name). Incomplete, late, non-digital, or misnamed submission packages are ineligible.
A. Personal responses (each roughly one paragraph in length) to the following questions:
- How long have you been writing?
- Summarize your writing activity for the past twelve months.
- Describe the work you intend to focus on during the prize period (e.g., completing a chapbook of poems, revising a collection of short stories, or submitting a novel manuscript).
- Propose a “prize period” (a span of time during which you will use the cash award to facilitate your writing work) and outline your work plan/schedule during this prize period.
- What goals have you set yourself to achieve during the prize period? Be specific.
- How will you prioritize writing during the prize period, and how will the prize period fit into your schedule? Please indicate if you intend to use some or all of the free consultations provided to the prize recipient. (These are detailed on the main Elizabeth Venart Prize page.)
B. A 10-page, doubled-spaced writing sample of the work-in-progress in 12-pt Times New Roman or Arial font. (Poetry samples should be single-spaced and may use others fonts only if typeface is integral to the project.)
3. Assessment Process
All submitters will be notified of the prize results by late November. Due to the volume of submissions anticipated, we ask that you not query the office about the status of your submission prior to that time.
After submission packages have been processed to ensure they are complete and eligible, they will be shared with a peer assessment jury of three professional writers contracted by the WFNS. The jury will assess submission packages based on
- the merit of the writing sample,
- the merit of the proposed writing activities, and
- the submitter’s commitment to the proposed writing activities.
The jury’s selection of the prize recipient will be final.
The cash award will be disbursed at the beginning of the prize period.
4. How to Submit
Submissions are accepted only through the form at the bottom of this page. Please note that completing the submission form is the final step in our recommended submission checklist:
☐ Ensure your eligibility.
☐ Ensure your submission package is complete and correct. In the event of an error, please contact our office to explain the issue before submitting a revised submission package. No submission package or revised submission package can be accepted after the prize deadline, so we encourage you to submit early.
☐ Pay the $16 submission fee through one of the fee options detailed below. This fee covers only a portion of the administrative and assessment costs for each submission. As such, even in cases of incomplete or ineligible submissions, it cannot be refunded.
☐ Complete and submit the form at the bottom of this page. After clicking the “Submit” button, please wait until the green confirmation message appears (confirming that your form has been successfully submitted) before exiting this page.
Submission fee options
Pay by phone. (Credit card required. Please call between 9am and 4pm on weekdays.)
902 423 8116
Pay by mail. (Cheque must be payable to Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia and post-dated for no later than the prize deadline. Mail your cheque before completing the online submission form.)
Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia
1113 Marginal Road
Halifax, NS B3H 4P7
If the Elizabeth Venart Prize submission fee presents a barrier to your submission, please contact the WFNS Executive Director (email@example.com) before submitting. Funds are available to help underwaged writers with submission fees.