Become a Member
General membership is open to anybody who writes, whether they reside in Nova Scotia or beyond.
- Reduced registration for our creative writing workshops and professional development sessions
- Reduced entry and submission fees for many of our contests and prizes
- Eligibility to apply for our Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program [Nova Scotia residents only]
- Eligibility to participate in our Manuscript Review Program, Coffee Chats program, and Service Directory
- A subscription to Subtext, our weekly email newsletter of events, opportunities and announcements, market listings, contests, awards, and more (plus access to the Subtext archive)
- Access to a variety of WFNS support services, such as WFNS event space (for book launches, readings, and other events) and the private WFNS Writers’ Studio (with computer, internet, and printer access)
- Advanced notice of WFNS programming, including formal and informal opportunities to meet and network with local, regional, and national writers at special events and celebrations
- Borrowing privileges in the WFNS Library, which features over 2000 Nova Scotian and Atlantic Canadian books
- Voting privileges at the WFNS Annual General Meeting
valid from date of joining to Dec 31, 2021
Full-time Student or Underwaged: $30
Member of an Affiliate Writers’ Organization: $30
(see list of affiliate organizations)
Join online: Join using your PayPal account or your credit card by clicking on any of the “Add to Cart” buttons above.
Join by phone: Call us during business hours at (902) 423-8116. Please have your credit card details on hand.
Join by mail: Send a cheque or money order (payable to the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia) and a printed & completed WFNS Membership Form to
Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia
1113 Marginal Road
Halifax, NS B3H 4P7
Membership in the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia is annual and fixed to the calendar year. You may join at any time throughout the year, but all memberships end December 31 and require renewal the following January 1. (For example, if you join WFNS in March, you are a member in good standing until December 31 of that year. On January 1 of the next year, you must renew your membership to remain in good standing.)
To take full advantage of membership, we encourage you to join WFNS early in the year. Each fall, however, we typically offer discounted memberships to account for the shorter membership duration.