”It may take time, but dreams can come true.” This speaks to Hui Zhou, a bilingual writer, a freelance interpreter and translator with a long career in natural science.
Born, eduated, worked, married, became a mother and a respected senior scientist in her home city Beijing, Hui created her next opportunity to Canada. In the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, she researched in her favorite field-entomology and obtained a Master of Scence Degree, dreamed for a long time, from Saint Mary’s University in Halifax.
Still, Hui explores wider in science, but she never stops writing that had been one of her hobbies for most of her life. Recently she turned writing more into a real career. Thus, one more dream comes true.
Hui writes in two languages, Mandarin Chinese and English. Her articles about St. Margaret’s Bay, winter stories in Nova Scotia, the Bay of Fundy . . . and many more life stories swarm into multi-medium in Canada and in China.
She had dreamed of publishing books. In May 2018, her first book, Running Wild with Bossy Boy, was self-designed, self-published on Amazon and locally printed. It tells the real stories about chicken’s personalities, or chicken-alities especially to children, but also with adults in mind.
Now Hui plans for her Essay Collections and other non-fiction books for children.
Being a member of Association of Translators and Interpreters of Nova Scotia (ATINS), Hui enjoys interpreting and translating for the Justice System and public/community services in/outside of Nova Scotia.
Gardening, a heritage from Grandpa, remains her favorite pastime.
“Running Wild with Bossy Boy” (2018), creative non-fiction with seventy photos especially for children
- Atlantic Book Today. 2018
- The Masthead News. 2017, 2020
- Sentimental Journey, Nova Scotia-based radio program. 2016
- Dakai (Discovering) Maritime Newspaper. 2015
- China Surveying and Mapping Magazine. Since 2007
- China Surveying and Mapping Newspaper. Since 2011
- Canada East Coast Chinese Newspaper. 2006-2008
- New World Press. 2001
- China International Travel Health. 1998
- China Shan Xi Province Magazine. 1998
- Beijing Evening Newspaper. 1996
ESSAYS IN ENGLISH
- H. Zhou. 2020. Come Ride with Me. The Masthead News. September 2, 2020
- H. Zhou. 2018. Wild Chickens for the Soul. Atlantic Books Today. Aug. 2018
- H. Zhou. 2017. Grandpa Santa. The Masthead News. December 6, 2017
- H. Zhou. 2016. Matching at Night. Sentimental Journey, Nova Scotia-based radio program, August 28, 2016
- H. Zhou. 2016. Mock Orange Blossom. Sentimental Journey, Nova Scotia-based radio program, July 10, 2016
- H. Zhou. 2015. The Golden Autumn at Saint Margaret’s Bay. Dakai Maritime. September Issue 2015
- H. Zhou. 2015. The Six Legged Creatures. Dakai Maritime. June Issue 2015
- H. Zhou. 2015. My Gardening Stories in Nova Scotia. Dakai Maritime. March Issue 2015
- H. Zhou. 2008. History Brought to Life: the Halifax Explosion. https://zhouhui.wordpress.com
- H. Zhou. 2008. From Heritage to Heritage. https://zhouhui.wordpress.com
- H. Zhou. 2008. Defensive Driving and Defensive Walking. https://zhouhui.wordpress.com
ESSAYS IN MANDARIN
- H. Zhou. 2018. 小螳螂和“小刀愣” (Marvel Baby Mantises and Our Little Daughter). 中国测绘杂志 China Surveying and Mapping Magazine. 2018 (4): 74-75
- H. Zhou. 2018. 愿蛙声依旧 (Listening to the Frogs). 中国测绘报 China Surveying and Mapping Newspaper. May 29, 2018
- H. Zhou. 2017. 再议英文名字的翻译 (A Disaster to English Names Translated into Chinese). 中国测绘杂志 China Surveying and Mapping Magazine. 2017 (2): 66-67
- H. Zhou. 2016. 世界瑰宝−方迪湾 (World Treasure−the Bay of Fundy). 中国测绘杂志 China Surveying and Mapping Magazine. 2016 (6): 76-79
- H. Zhou. 2016. 多彩的冬天 (Winter Variety in Nova Scotia). 中国测绘杂志 China Surveying and Mapping Magazine. (2): 78-81
- H. Zhou. 2015. 昆虫：六条腿的小生灵(The Six Legged Creatures). Dakai Maritime. June Issue 2015
- H. Zhou. 2015. 种瓜种豆的启示 (My Gardening Stories in Nova Scotia). Dakai Maritime. March Issue 2015
- H. Zhou. 2012. 准备过冬 (Being Ready for Winter).
- H. Zhou. 2011. 曾经杏花村 (In the Village of Apricot Flowers). 中国测绘杂志 China Surveying and Mapping Magazine. 2011 (2): 46-51
- H. Zhou. 2011. 谁是“老外” (Who Are “Foreigners”-Lao Wai). 中国测绘报 China Surveying and Mapping Newspaper. Feb. 25, 2011
- H. Zhou. 2011, 从英文名字翻译想到的 (What Have Been Twisted When English Names Translated into Chinese). 澳华文学网
- H. Zhou. 2010. 大火烧到家门时 (Fire in the Woods at Glen Haven Nova Scotia in 2006). 澳华文学网
- H. Zhou. 2010. 妞妞的圣诞姥爷 (NiuNiu and Her Grandpa Santa). 澳华文学网
- H. Zhou. 2009. 走进历史：哈里法克斯港湾大爆炸 (The Halifax Explosion Brought to My Life). 中国测绘杂志 China Surveying and Mapping Magazine. 2009 (6): 70-73
- H. Zhou. 2008. 你啊“洋姜” (Dear Jerusalem Artichoke). East Coast Chinese Newspaper. May Issue 2008
- H. Zhou. 2007. 金秋“圣·玛格瑞斯”海湾 (The Golden Autumn at Saint Margaret’s Bay). 中国测绘杂志 China Surveying and Mapping Magazine. 2007 (6): 44-47
- H. Zhou. 2001. 多想有枚北大校徽，北大往事（二) (Beyond the Badge of Peking University, Peking University Memoir Collection (2): 75-83). 新世界出版社 New World Press.
- H. Zhou. 2000. “故乡”永济 (Yong ji, My “Hometown”). 今日山西杂志 ShanXi Today Magazine. 2000 (6): 36
- H. . 二连浩特散记(A Short Piece of Enenhot). 国际旅行卫生杂志 China International Travel Health Magazine. 1998(2):44-45
- H. Zhou. 1996. 太平花开 (Mock Orange Blossom). 北京晚报 Beijing Evening News, Dec. 9, 1996:15