Danielle Metcalfe-Chenail is a multi-passionate, multi-genre author of several books who loves telling hidden, inclusive stories for audiences of all ages.
Danielle’s latest picture book, Freddie the Flyer is coming out in Fall 2023 from Tundra Books. It’s co-authored with Gwich’in pilot Fred Carmichael, and will feature the beautiful illustrations of Inuvialuit artist Audrea Wulf.
Her first chapter book – Fever on the Forgotten Coast – is out on submission, as is her first women’s fiction book, The 500 Year Flood.
In 2022, with the support of a Canada Council Creation Grant and Access Copyright Professional Development Grant, she will return to her creative nonfiction book about trauma, family, and the largest Indian Hospital in Canada.
If you’re looking for a sharp-eyed cheerleader to help you with editing and coaching, Danielle will help you through the writing and publishing journey with empathy and encouragement. Please contact her directly to discuss working together.
- Freddie the Flyer: A Year of Arctic Aviation Adventures (forthcoming, Tundra Books, 2023)
- Alis the Aviator: An ABC Aviation Adventure (Tundra Books, 2019)
- In This Together: Fifteen Stories of Truth and Reconciliation (Brindle & Glass, 2016)
- Polar Winds: A Century of Flying the North (Dundurn, 2014)
- For the Love of Flying: The Story of Laurentian Air Services (Robin Brass Studios, 2009)
- Recipient of grants from the Canada Council for the Arts, the Edmonton Arts Council, and the Edmonton Heritage Council
- 2010 Berton House Writer in Residence
- Houston Literary Award Finalist
- Emily Awards YA Romance category finalist
- Chatelaine Maverick of the Year
- Avenue Magazine Top 40 under 40
- Sizzling 20 under 30