Danielle Metcalfe-Chenail specializes in telling hidden, inclusive histories for audiences of all ages. She’s done this for over a decade as a freelancer as well as through her books, which span adult narrative nonfiction, essays, a picture book.
Danielle has a new picture book forthcoming in 2023, and her first chapter book – Fever on the Forgotten Coast – is out on submission.
Danielle is currently doing rewrites on The 500 Year Flood, a women’s fiction project set during Hurricane Harvey. Over the winter of 2021-22, with the support of a Canada Council Creation Grant, she will return to her creative nonfiction book trauma, family, and the largest Indian Hospital in Canada.
If you’re looking for a sharp-eyed cheerleader to help you with editing and coaching, Danielle will help you through the writing and publishing journey with empathy and encouragement. Please contact her directly to discuss working together.
- Alis the Aviator: An ABC Aviation Adventure (Tundra Books, 2019)
- In This Together: Fifteen Stories of Truth and Reconciliation (Brindle & Glass, 2016)
- Polar Winds: A Century of Flying the North (Dundurn, 2014)
- For the Love of Flying: The Story of Laurentian Air Services (Robin Brass Studios, 2009)
- Recipient of grants from the Canada Council for the Arts, the Edmonton Arts Council, and the Edmonton Heritage Council
- 2010 Berton House Writer in Residence
- Houston Literary Award Finalist
- Chatelaine Maverick of the Year
- Avenue Magazine Top 40 under 40
- Sizzling 20 under 30