Chris Benjamin is a freelance journalist and an author of fiction and non-fiction. He is currently the Managing Editor of Atlantic Books Today magazine.
His collection of short stories, Boy With a Problem, is forthcoming in September 2020. His latest book is Indian School Road: Legacies of the Shubenacadie Residential School. Released in August 2014, it won the Dave Greber Freelance Book Prize before being published.
His previous book, Eco-Innovators: Sustainability in Atlantic Canada, won the 2012 Best Atlantic-Published Book Award and was a finalist for the Richardson Non-Fiction Prize. A series of short video documentaries has been made based on the book.
Chris has written for a long list of magazines and newspapers in Canada and the United States. A few highlights include The Globe and Mail, Science Friday, Z Magazine, Saltscapes, Halifax Magazine, Progress Magazine, and The Coast.
- Boy With a Problem. Pottersfield Press. Nov 2020, ISBN 9781989725276.
- Indian School Road: Legacies of the Shubenacadie Indian Residential School. Nimbus Publishing, Oct 2014, ISBN 9781771082136.
- Eco-Innovators: Sustainability in Atlantic Canada. Nimbus Publishing, Oct 2011, ISBN 9781551098630.
- Drive-by Saviours. Roseway, Sept 2010, ISBN 9781552663691.
- 2019 Atlantic Books Today won gold Atlantic Journalism Award for best cover
- 2019 Received Canada Council for the Arts Explore and Create Grant to be Writer in Residence for South Shore Public Libraries
- 2017 Indian School Road named one of Nova Scotia’s “150 Books of Influence” by Nova Scotia Libraries
- 2013 Dave Greber Freelance Book Award
- 2012 Best Atlantic Published Book Award Winner
- 2012 Evelyn Richardson Prize for Non-fiction Finalist
- 2011 ReLit Prize longlist, novel
- 2011 Canada Reads Essential Reading Top 40 List, Drive-by Saviours
- 2008 Atlantic Writing Competition, HR Percy Prize