After completing his doctorate at King’s College, University of London, Brian Cuthbertson came to live permanently in Halifax in 1973 where he was employed as government records archivist at Public Archives of Nova from 1974 to 1984. It was while he was at the Archives that he began his publishing career which continued after he served as Head of Heritage in the Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage from 1984 to 1995 at which point he took early retirement. He then embarked on a new career as a historical researcher. For the Halifax Regional Municipality, he completed the following submissions to the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada – Melville Island &’ Deadman’s Island: Starr Manufacturing Site: and Halifax’s Memorial Tower (all accepted for designation as National Historic Sites). Among the 22 commemorative stamps he did the historical and graphic research under contract to Canada Post were – Confederation Bridge; the Cabot Trail; W.J. Roue (designer of the Bluenose); the Marco Polo; Tall Ships; Samuel Cunard; the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge and the Canso Causeway (celebrating their 50th anniversary in 2005); William Hall VC; and the First Flight of the Silver Dart. As part of the activities for Democracy 250 he was the historian for an online virtual exhibit: “The Evolution of Parliamentary Democracy in Nova Scotia 1719-2008”. For the Nova Scotia Museum’s series of Virtual Tours entitled “Cornerstones of Democracy”, he researched and wrote the scripts used for Uniacke Estate Virtual Tour and Government House Virtual Tour. Since 1998 he has been the editor of the Journal of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society.
Winner of the 1984 Evelyn Richardson Non-Fiction Prize; ‘The Loyalist Governor’