Requests for the 2014/15 school year will be accepted on Wednesday, October 1, 2014 beginning at 9am. Please submit your request using our online booking system.
The current roster of WITS writers and illustrators can be viewed by clicking here. On Wednesday, October 1 at 9am you may complete and submit the simple online booking form. PLEASE NOTE: early requests will not be considered.
Using the online booking system:
To request writers and illustrators for a WITS visit to your school please click on the "Request this Author" button found at the bottom of each profile. After making a selection you will see the requested name appear in your shopping cart (on the left-hand side below the WITS menu).
When you have finished making your selections, return to your shopping cart and click on "check out". You will now see your requested authors at the top of the page and can choose full day or half day visits (up to a maximum of 5 full days or the equivalent mix of half and full days totaling 5 full days). Complete your request by filling in the school contact information and agreeing to the terms of the program. Thank you!
- Demand for WITS grows every year. WFNS regrets that we can not fulfill every request.
- One school may request up to five full days of subsidized WITS bookings.
- Bookings may be composed of any variation of full and half days that adds up to no more than five full days (e.g. You could book a single writer for five full days, or a combination of up to ten writers for ten half days, etc.) Do not book more writers than you are able to accommodate into your school programming year.
- UPDATED! Session length and the total number of sessions per visit varies by writer. We ask that the following guidelines be adhered to: Each session is approximately 45-55 minutes in length. A full day WITS visit includes 4 sessions and a half day WITS visit includes 2 sessions. For schools with class times longer than one hour we ask that the teacher be prepared with a related activity for the end of the session such as writing thank you notes or feedback for the visiting writer.
- Talk to your visiting writer well in advance of the scheduled visit to avoid confusion and disappointment.
- One teacher or school representative should make all WITS bookings per school. Requests from multiple contacts will not be accepted.
- There is a cost to the school. WFNS - with the support of the Department of Education; the Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage; and fundraising efforts - subsidizes each WITS booking, paying for the writer's transportation and a portion of the reading fee. Each school must pay one half of the fee to WFNS: $150 for a Full day booking; $75 for a Half day booking. Schools are also responsible for providing lunch during full day visits. Accommodation may be required depending on the distance traveled by the writer.
- When a writer has reached their maximum number of bookings (usually eight full days), WFNS moves to th enext writer on your wish list. You may still book a writer who has reached their WITS limit, but you must do so independently and make arrangements to provide the writer with the full fee and travel expenses: $250 + $.35/km travel for a Full day; $125 + $.35/km for a Half day.
Please note: Schools in arrears from last year may not be able to use this program. Schools that have cancelled past bookings without good reason or without notifying the Federation may not be able to use this program.
- Have a look at the list of writers and carefully read our 'Hosting' page. There are over 90 participating writers with very different programs for a wide range of grade levels and interests. Tips & guidelines for your writer's visit(s) under 'Hosting'.
- On Wednesday, October 1, 2014, make your selections by clicking on "Request this Author" (at the bottom of each profile), return to your shopping cart (located near the upper left) and proceed to the checkout and fill in all of the required information. Please read and understand all terms, responsibilities and guidelines before submitting your request. Please submit only once. Submit your request at or after 9am on October 1. Early submissions will not be considered.
- Confirmation will appear on your screen after your request has successfully been submitted.
- Once we have worked out the details of the booking (usually within 5-7 business days), we will contact you again by email, with a list of the writers approved for visits at your school, contact information for each writer and the details of the agreement. The email will include an estimate of the costs for your visits (not including accommodation or meals). Please note: the estimate is not an invoice.
- We will issue an invoice via email. Invoices will be sent by email and may be paid upon receipt or within one week of the writer’s visit. To request hard copies of invoices by mail or fax, please contact Heidi at: email@example.com
- You must contact the writer(s) within one month to discuss the specifics of your booking, regardless of whether the visit is happening immediately or next May.
If you have questions about any aspect of booking WITS this year, please contact our office (in advance of the booking date) at 423-8116 or firstname.lastname@example.org