Please note that a large portion of the mentorship is completed digitally. Therefore, we only accept digital applications as a way of confirming a base level of digital literacy.
To apply for the Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member in good standing of the WFNS. If you are not currently a member, please register by clicking here. Note that applications from non-members will not be considered. Membership is open to anyone.
- Be a permanent resident of Nova Scotia (ie, you have lived in Nova Scotia permanently for at least one year and file your taxes here.) Students who return to a home outside of Nova Scotia in the summer and those who have only seasonal residence in the province are not eligible.
- Postal address.
- Email and phone number where you may be reached during business hours.
- Please provide a written statement confirming that you are 19 years of age or older, and that you are unpublished in the genre in which you wish to apprentice. If it is discovered that the declaration was false, the application will be discarded.
Your application must answer the following questions. Answers should be approximately one paragraph each. Please use Times New Roman or Arial 12 point font.
- How long have you been writing?
- Summarize your writing activity for the past twelve months.
- Provide a brief outline of what you specifically propose to work on during the mentorship period.
- Give a description of the work you'll have available for the mentorship (i.e. number of poems, written, number of pages completed of your fiction or prose manuscript).
- What goal have you set yourself to try and achieve during the five-month mentorship period? Be specific.
- Are you willing and able to make writing a priority during the full course of the program? If not, please do not apply.
- Describe how the mentorship will fit into your schedule.
- Please confirm that should you be selected, you will make yourself available for the mandatory meetings on: December 9th, 2015 (snow date: December 14th); February 24th, 2016 (snow date: Feb 29th); and the public reading on May 7, 2016. If you are not able to make all of these dates, please do not apply. The two in-person sessions and the reading are critical to meeting the goals of the Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program. Allowances may be made for Skype or teleconferencing should the apprentice be unable to make it to Halifax for the group meetings.
Combine both your cover letter and your writing sample into one document. Name it Lastname_Firstname_Mentorship.doc. Please do not name your application something generic such as "mentorship application." We receive a large number of applications and we need to be able to readily identify each application. Be absolutely sure that your application is complete and correct before sending. Multiple applications arriving from the same applicant causes confusion and administrative issues. In the event of an error, please contact the office and explain the issue before sending a replacement document. The best way to ensure that we will allow you to correct any issues is to submit early.
Deadline: October 16, 2015
Applications must include a $25 application fee. The fee can be paid via PayPal, or by cheque*.
*If paying by cheque, please note that the fee is in the mail when you email your application. Please address the cheque to Writers' Federation of Nova Scotia.
(Note: Applications will not be considered complete until payment is received. Applications will also not be considered complete if the applicant is not a current WFNS member in good standing.)
Address your applications to Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program, 1113 Marginal Road, Halifax, NS, B3H 4P7. For further information, please call our office at 902-423-8116.
Please email completed applications to email@example.com.
- Confirm you are a member in good standing. The WFNS office will double check this when processing your application.
- Cover letter that includes your mailing address, email and phone number.
- A written declaration that you are 19 years of age or older and unpublished in the form or genre you wish to apprentice.
- A written declaration that you are a permanent Nova Scotia resident.
- A written declaration that, if selected, you will attend the mandatory meetings and the Celebration of Emerging Writers on May 7th.
- All questions answered.
- A writing sample of 10 double spaced pages. This will form part of the proposed project you wish to work on during the mentorship program.
- Submit all files as a .doc or *docx file. Please name your application as follows: Lastname_Firstname_Mentorship.doc
- Payment has been made either via PayPal, or by mailing in a cheque.
If the name on the PayPal account is different than the name on the application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.