Chris Benjamin is a freelance journalist and an author of fiction and non-fiction.
His latest book is Indian School Road: Legacies of the Shubenacadie Residential School. Released in August 2014, it won the Dave Greber Freelance Book Prize before being published.
His previous book, Eco-Innovators: Sustainability in Atlantic Canada, won the 2012 Best Atlantic-Published Book Award and was a finalist for the Richardson Non-Fiction Prize. A series of short video documentaries has been made based on the book.
In 2006/2007, he worked as a journalist in Ghana. He shared an honourable mention in the 2009 Canadian National Magazine Awards. Chris has written for a long list of magazines and newspapers in Canada and the United States. A few highlights include The Globe and Mail, Science Friday, Chronicle Herald, Z Magazine, Canadian Dimension, This Magazine, Briarpatch, Saltscapes, Halifax Magazine, The Halifax Examiner, Progress Magazine, and The Coast.
Chris has also published more than a dozen short stories in literary journals, magazines, newspapers and anthologies, including:
- Before the Beginning. The Nashwaak Review, Spring 2016.
- Operation Niblet (short fiction) in Love Anthology. Pottersfield Press, February 2016 (forthcoming).
- Realities. Galleon Literary Journal, December 2015.
- Boy With a Problem. The Dalhousie Review, April 2015.
- Shimmer, Sinner Singer. Galleon Literary Journal, December 2014.
- Cuisvé (creative nonfiction), in Becoming Fierce: Teen Stories IRL. Fierce Ink Press, September 2014. ISBN: 1927746612.
- Great Wall (short fiction) in the Cadimus Protocol Trans Media Project. The Doppler Effect, August 2014.
- Meribah (short fiction). The Coast, December 2013.
- The Water Bottle Thief (short fiction) in Everything is So Political. Roseway Publishing, May 2013. ISBN: 1552665496.
- The Law Won (creative non-fiction). Descant, December 2010.
- Xofa X-Mas (short fiction). The Coast, December 2010.
- Gifts from the North (short fiction), in Airborne (The Speculative Elements, Volume 2). Third Person Press, August 2010. ISBN: 0981102514.
- Natural Demise (short fiction). Nashwaak Review, Summer/Fall 2010.
- Clayton’s Letters (short fiction). The Society, April 2010.
- Delia and Phil (short fiction) in Earlit Shorts 4. Rattling Books, August 2010. ISBN: 0978206568.
- The Futurology of Fatherhood (creative nonfiction) in Nova Scotia: Visions of the Future. Pottersfield Press, July 2009. ISBN: 9781897426074
- Ukrainian Christmas in October (short fiction). The Coast, December 2008.
- Living in the Dirt (short fiction). The Statesman, August 2007.
- It's Muhammad (short fiction). Dalhousie University New Cultures Wesbite, April 2010.
- It's Muhammad (short fiction). VoicePrint Canada, February 2009.
Indian School Road: Legacies of the Shubenacadie Indian Residential School. Nimbus Publishing, Oct 2014, ISBN 9781771082136.
Eco-Innovators: Sustainability in Atlantic Canada. Nimbus Publishing, Oct 2011, ISBN 9781551098630.
Drive-by Saviours. Roseway, Sept 2010, ISBN 9781552663691.
2013 Dave Greber Freelance Book Award
2012 Best Atlantic Published Book Award Winner
2012 Evelyn Richardson Prize for Non-fiction Finalist
2011 ReLit Prize longlist, novel
2011 Canada Reads longlist
2010 Atlantic New Cultures Writing Competition, 3rd Place
2009 Canadian Magazine Awards, Honourable Mention
2008 Atlantic Writing Competition, HR Percy Prize