About the Writers' Federation of Nova Scotia
The Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS) is an arts service organization founded with the core principle of “writers helping writers”. This collaborative philosophy informs a complete cycle of development programming and a wide array of professional services that support the craft of writing, the business of being a writer, and the promotion of Nova Scotia writers as integral to the province’s cultural life and creative economy. In fulfilling this province-wide mandate for writers of all forms and genres, and for writers at all stages in their careers, the WFNS is guided by its Mission Statement and Core Values:
To foster creative writing and the profession of writing in the Province of Nova Scotia; to provide advice and assistance to writers at all stages of their careers; to encourage greater public recognition of writers and their achievements; and to enhance the literary arts in our regional and national culture.
There are two types of membership:
General Membership is open to anybody who writes. Benefits include the right to vote at the AGM, reduced program fees, all WFNS communications services, invitations to special events and celebrations, the opportunity to meet and network with writing colleagues, and a variety of support services.
Writers' Council Membership
Members who meet professional publication requirements as defined in the By-Laws of the WFNS may apply for Writers' Council membership. Only Writers' Council members may participate in the Writers in the Schools (WITS) program and serve as WFNS workshop instructors.
Annual membership dues are $60 or $25 for students, and are due in January for each calendar year.
Benefits of Membership
- Reduced rates for, and advance notice of, WFNS programming, such as professional development sessions and workshops.
- Eligibility to apply for the Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program.
- Access to our Manuscript Review Program which matches writers with published authors for advice on their work-in-progress for a flat rate fee.
- Eligibility to place a free listing in our online service directory.
- A digital subscription to Eastword, our quarterly member magazine. (An annual print subscription is available for $20 for four issues.)
- Subscription to SubText, a bi-weekly email of events, opportunities and announcements, market listings, contests, awards, and more.
- Direct invitations to special events and celebrations.
- Access to the WFNS Writers' Studio, which includes a computer with internet access and a printer.
- Eligibility to vote at the WFNS Annual General Meeting.
- Formal and informal opportunities to network with local, regional, and national writers.
- Access to a volunteer program where members can earn credits towards discounted WFNS services & membership.
- Participation in the Writers in the Schools program. (Writers’ Council members.)
- A profile in our online Writers’ Directory. (Writers’ Council members.)
- And, of course, access to other programming for everyone!